Wednesday, October 1, 2008



So, after reading through Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, I keep trying things I haven't before. Most of them keep getting me into trouble (how do you peel 50 lbs of tomatoes?!) or have involved me standing in front of the meat section at the grocery store staring for a while and then walking away with nothing. One of the latest endeavors the kids and I have undertaken has been the Apple Adventure. I contacted a local organic apple orchard and asked for a bushel of apples to make into applesauce. Simple. A week later, Lovely Larry the Apple Guy brought 80 lbs. of VERY ORGANIC (read: WORMY!) apples to us (he had some extra!?). It felt overwhelming! We have gotten through all of them and found that our favorite thing has been the apple cider. We borrowed a friend's wine press and went to town. If you'll notice, P. was our most consistent taste-tester...:) I barely got a swallow by the time it was over!

No comments: